Saturday, February 23, 2008

propriety vs speed of execution

A few days ago, my prof told me to write the whole question in the index of my AI lab file. What I do is write just the gist of the question in about 4-5 words. The idea is that the only people that are going to read it are students or profs and both are familiar with the questions. So it only needs a few keywords to remind them of what the question is about. Writing the whole question is like defeating the whole purpose of an index - which is to find out the contents of a file with minimum time and effort. And if she still isn't sure what an entry is she can look it up inside. The complete question is written inside anyways. So i told my prof that writing the whole question is a waste of time of both the writer and the reader that's why i won't do it.

This case is just an example of a greater malaise in the thinking of the people of our country. We give more importance to what is "proper" than to what will speed up execution and save valuable time. We think it more important to show all the information rather than only that which is relevant and necessary. I believe this is one of the biggest differences between the thinking of people from  developing and developed countries.

2 comments:

neophyte said...

An apt entry in your blogspot, which just puts up the jist of watever you wanted to convey to the readers.

I was wondering why e hasn't written about corruption, narrow-mindedness, selfish way of thinking etc... which drag the developing countries very slowly up the list.

well there was the message your blog was supposed to convey "short, yet to the point".

Lovely entry dude :)

The Thoughtful Philosopher said...

[dexter]

I hadn't written about corruption, narrow-mindedness, selfish way of thinking etc because that's stuff ppl already know about. No point repeating what you've probably already read about. I thought a newer insight would be more helpful.......

Thank you for the interest you're showing in my blog. I'm really grateful for your comments.